what3words review


I recently reviewed an app called what3words which overlays the world with a grid of        3m x 3m squares and assigns each square a unique 3 word address. 
As you can see from the screenshot below, the address for this specific 3mx3m square located in front of the Flix Brewhouse in Albuquerque is ///fence.looked.inner.


The intent of this new location reference paradigm is similar to the intent of assembly language vs machine language in that we are used to communicating in words rather than numbers. 
Here is the same address expressed in lat/longs, compared with the what3words address.
Which is easier for you to remember/communicate?
 - 35°09’32.3”N by 106°40’52.3”W. 
///fence.looked.inner

The app is designed with the user in mind, to be sure. Maps are zoomed in on by using two fingers moving in opposite directions while you zoom out by pinching. Further, the app provides multiple languages. The app opens to your precise location.
The map featured on the app is that provided by Google, at least on my Android device. The app may utilize Apple’s map on Apple devices. The map can be set to satellite imagery or to graphical representation as with Google Maps. There is a target icon which enables the user to look at their precise location.
Once a tile is selected, the address is provided in a bar approximately 10% below the top of the screen. This address screen also provides three options: navigate here, share, and save to list which all have familiar/appropriate icons.

In the top left corner of the app is the traditional hamburger menu for more options which enable users to change their language and other setting and also lists a tutorial for those users who are unfamiliar.
The compass icon as seen in the fence.looked.inner screenshot orients the map to where north is the top of the screen, as per the norm. The microphone icon enables users to speak in 3-word addresses and will provide approximate matches. It provides an example: ///limit.broom.flip which when uttered provided ///limit.broom.flipped (near Osbourne, Kansas), ///limit.broom.flip (near Camden Town, London), and ///limit.room.flip(near Sao Felix do Xingu, Para, Brazil).
As stated previously, the app supports tie-ins with navigation apps and enabled me to utilize my phone’s native Map app, Uber, Compass, Zillow, and Zoom. I don’t believe Zoom is on my phone and I’m not familiar with the app itself. As a suggested improvement I might limit the available options to choices I already have installed unless there’s a revenue stream from partnering with apps and encouraging their download. In this case I might highlight those paps not installed and directly recommend them. When I clicked on the Zoom icon, the navigate here menu disappeared but nothing else occurred.

Where this app truly shines is the ability to provide location information to users in areas where addresses aren’t prevalent or don’t exist. For instance, if  I were on a hike and injured to such an extent that I couldn’t walk but had my phone, I could provide the 3-word address to rescue personnel rather than “I think I’m about 3 miles from the start of the 10K trail”.

3 recommendations for improvements:
  • Only show navigation apps which are already installed on the device (or alternative as described prior).
  • Enable voice search of known businesses/locations rather than voice search of what3word addresses.
  • Assign an address to known locations on Google Maps to prevent the need to zoom in all the way and select a random tile. 

p.s. - I mentioned (on LinkedIn) to Chris Sheldrick, CEO  & co-founder of What3Words that I'd done this review as a class assignment he asked me to provide my feedback. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment